You will agree that electricity has played a vital role in enhancing our day to day lives. Well, electricity may positively impact our lives if used in the right way, but when electricity is misused, it may cause significant damage.
For example, electrical hazards cause about 300 deaths every year in the United States.
Electrical hazards are becoming common in our homes. At the end of this article, you will have a better comprehension of the most common electrical dangers and how you can mitigate them.
Want to learn more about electric dangers and how to avoid them? Read on.
Wet hands may cause electrical danger. When you plug in an appliance with wet hands, there is a higher chance of getting a shock.
Also, handling sockets or electrical wires with wet hands is extreme danger and may cause an electric fire in severe cases. The only suitable remedy for this hazard is making sure you completely dry your hands before interacting with electric sockets.
Overloading Power Outlets
Generally, power outlets and sockets are designed to handle a specific amount of electricity. When your plugin devices of high power voltage into one socket, you are overloading the power outlet.
You may also tend to use a power strip, commonly known as an extension cable, to increase the number of devices you can plug in into the outlet. Plugging many adapters into a power outlet is a dangerous practice that should be avoided.
When the power strip becomes overloaded, it may lead to an electric fire.
You can mitigate this electric damage by ensuring you don’t overload power outlets. Also, ensure that you don’t connect more than one power strip into a single socket. It is also advisable not to plug in multiple devices with a high voltage into a single power strip.
If you are not sure about the voltage of your devices, always consult your electrical technician.
Connecting Appliances Near Water Sources
Water is an electric conductor, and if it comes into contact with electric current, electrical fire hazards may occur.
It is always advisable and safe to unplug any appliances that you aren’t using. You may also consider installing a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).
This interrupter is simply a gadget that mitigates the risks of getting electrocution or an electric shock. It automatically switches off the power source when it detects one electric shock.
When you note that you’re plugged-in the appliance is in a wet area, you shouldn’t unplug it first. In such a situation, you should turn off the power source in your electric panel box. From there, you can safely unplug your appliance.
You should also immediately invite a qualified electrician to repair your power source to avoid any future dangers. When installing the GFCI, always seek a helping hand from a qualified electrician.
Sometimes you may notice an electrical defect in your house, and perhaps you may want to repair it. This is highly discouraged since it is one of the dangers of electricity. When you notice an electric repair that should be done in your house, always consult a qualified electrician to come and help you out.
You may also become curious about how electric repairs are conducted and therefore, you may search for some videos on YouTube – this is also discouraged. When you conduct an electric repair without the proper knowledge, an electric defect may arise after that, which may become dangerous both to you and your family.
It should also be noted that DIY electrical upgrades or repairs are also extremely dangerous, more so when done without a qualified electrician’s supervision.
Ensuring Electrical Outlets Are Safe
Due to the curiosity nature in children, it is always advisable to keep electrical outlets safe. Young children may tend to insert objects into sockets, and this isn’t safe since it may lead to an electric shock or, in a severe cause, an electric explosion.
It is always advisable to keep all electric appliances away from children; if a child must plug in an electrical appliance, this should be done under the parent’s supervision. If your house has an electrical outlet within reach of children, it should be replaced with an extra-safe powerpoint.
Poor wiring may escalate the rate of electrical danger in your house. Always ensure electric cables aren’t naked. By this, you should make sure that all the electric cables in your house are wired.
Poor wiring may lead to loose connections, and this may cause great electric damage to your house. It is also recommendable to replace faulty and old wires with new ones. Damaged electrical appliances that may be plugged in may also cause electrical dangers.
To enhance electric safety in the home, it is advisable to invite a qualified electrician who will come and replace the old wires.
Many people don’t think that light bulbs may be a source of electrical dangers, but they are in the real sense. Since a light bulb is a source of electricity, it may cause a shock if not handled correctly.
Always before changing your light bulb, switch off the light socket. You should also ensure you use a bulb with the right wattage to prevent overloading and overheat your power outlet. As small as the light bulb may look, it may have a substantial negative impact if not handled well.
Avoid These Electrical Hazards
Above are some of the common electrical hazards that may occur in your home and some factors you should contemplate to enhance electric safety. The general rule of thumb is to always consult a qualified electrician before dealing with these types of electrical hazards.
As a homeowner, the safety of your home is a priority. By following these tips, you’re on course to a risk-free living environment.
Check out our other blogs that contain crucial home improvement ideas.